The following papers (and others to be added soon!) have been accepted for presentation at the International Communication Association 67th Annual Convention, May 25-29, 2017 in San Diego. We'd like to congratulate the Department of Communication graduate students and faculty whose papers have been accepted for presentation--way to go!
Putnam, L. L. Challenges and Opportunities for Internationalizing Organizational Communication. Presented ICA Pre-Conference on Prospective Mexican Organizational Communication, San Diego, CA., May 24, 2017. Sponsored by the Mexican Association of Researchers and Professionals in Organizational Communication (AMIPO).
Paper & Panel Presentations
- Adams, A., Miles, J. & Dunbar, N. E. Explicating Textisms in Mediated Communication: A Codebook for Analyzing Nonverbal Cues in Text.
- Afifi, T. D., Gangi, K., Coveleski, S., Scranton, A., Denes, A., Davis, S., Merrill, A., Buschman, N. Family communication patterns, identity gaps, and emerging adults’ risky behaviors.
- Amir, O., Huskey, R., Mangus, J.M., Swanson, R., Gordon, A., Khooshabeh, P., Weber,R. Media and the moral mind: Binding and individualizing moral intuitions elicit distinct cortical activation.
- Bernhold, Q., Dunbar, N. E., Merolla, A., & Giles, H. Face threats and facework during hurtful conflict: Extending identity implications theory.
- Choi, C., Khadvy, H., Raddawi, R., & Giles, H. Perceptions of police-civilian encounters: Communication and intergroup parameters in the
USA and the United Arab Emirates.
- Dunbar, N. E. & Carrard, V. Dyadic Power and Patients’ Deception with Their Physicians.
- Endacott, C. G. Communication of past work experience as resource and repertoire for membership negotiation.
Figueroa-Caballero, A., & Mastro, D. Examining the Effects of News Coverage linking Undocumented Immigrants with Criminality: Policy and Punitive Implications.
- Fisher, J., & Keene, J. Examining cognitive load and recall for educational multimedia messages in ADHD and high media multitasking populations.
- Fisher, J., Keene, J., Huskey, R., & Weber, R. The offramp problem: Treating media psychology as an insular field inhibits theoretical and empirical progress. Top 5 Paper, Communication Science & Biology Division.
- Harrison, K. E., High, A., & Wotipka, C. The (Un)Importance of a gut feeling: Information seeking strategies in online dating.
- Huskey, R. Craighead, B., Miller, M., & Weber, R. Intrinsic reward motivates shifts between cognitive control and default mode networks during task performance.
- Kam, J. A., & Pérez Torres, D. Perceived parental legitimacy as a moderator of parent-child communication’s effects on Latinx adolescent substance use.
- Kam, J. A., Marcoulides, K., Steuber, K. R., Mendez Murillo, R. Uncovering patterns of family-undocumented-status disclosures for Latinx early adolescents: A latent transition analysis.
- Keblusek, L. (Poster). Causes and effects of indirect interpersonal aggression: A review and synthesis.
- Keblusek, L. (Poster). The evolution of sex differences in aggression: A costliness continuum perspective.
- Keblusek, L., & Giles. Dress style and appearance in intergroup life.
- Leonardi, P., Stohl, C., & Stohl, M. Strategic and inadvertent information opacity: the perils, opportunities and consequences for organizations in the digital age. In the paper panel, ‘Infostructuring’: information control and visibilities in digital spaces.
- Lonergan, C., & Weber, R. Reconceptualizing physical sex as continuous: Are there sex differences in video game preference? Top 5 Paper, Communication Science & Biology Division.
- Metzger, M. J., Wilson. C., & Zhao, B. Y. Passive social interaction in social networking sites.
- Nabi, R., Nicholls, S., Keblusek, L., Huskey, R., & Reed, M. When audiences become advocates: Dissonance-driven behavior change through health message posting in social media.
- Pearce, K. E. & Rice, R. E. Somewhat separate and unequal: Social networking site choice and activity differences and their capital-enhancing potential.
- Pines, R., & Kam, J. A. Who do I try to be when I interpret for others? Understanding relational quality associated with language brokers’ strategic identity goals.
- Prusova, D., Adams, A., Dunbar, N. E., Klapilova, K., & Lindova, J. Successful Dominance Strategies in Romantic Couples' Conflict.
- Putnam, L. L. (panel participant). What counts as organizational communication? Insights from book, journal, handbook, and encyclopedia editors.
- Putnam, L. L., & Ashcraft, K. L. Gender, communication, and organizational paradox.
- Reich, S., Reinecke, L., Hefner, D., Winkler, J., Hopp, F. R., Knop-Huelss, K., Chan, M., Owen, B., & Vorderer, P. Self-construal, cultural values and everyday life with a smartphone - Intercultural differences in being permanently online and connected.
- Rice, R. E. (Co-organizer and presenter, panel). Debating affordances: Defining and refining the contours of affordance measurement and theory.
- Rice, R. E. (Respondent). Mapping digital divides in communication practices across major life realms.
- Rice, R. E., Gustafson, A., & Hoffman, Z. Uncertainty and opinion divergence framing in climate change news, 2005-2015.
- Robinson, B., Reid, S. A., Rushforth, C., Keblusek, L, Hatsell, E., Peindo, S., & Dragojevic, M. Can evolved sexual strategies be observed in online dating profiles?
- Smith, B. K., & Woo, D. TAM3, the reasoned action approach, and technological affordances: Choosing a parsimonious model for understanding technology use in organizations.
- Suh, J. Y., & Metzger, M. J. Comparative optimism about privacy risks on Facebook.
- Sun, S., Merolla, A. J., & Seo, M. Public and personal responses to environmental pollution in China: Applying a differential susceptibility framework.
- Weber, R., Mangus, J. M., Huskey, R., Amir, O., Swanson, R., Gordon, A., Khooshabeh, P., Hahn, L., & Tamborini, R. Extracting moral foundations from text narratives: Relevance, challenges, and solutions.
- Woo, D. Knowledge sharing in long-term cross boundary collaboration: A field study of urban planning process.