University of California's Education Abroad Program (EAP)

The Communication department encourages students to broaden their education experience through participation in UC's Education Abroad Program (EAP). Get credit for your upper division major while experiencing another culture. In addition to taking courses in interpersonal, organizational, and media communication, opportunities exist to complete courses in journalism, public relations, broadcast, and other areas of the field of Communication not traditionally offered at UCSB. Because students receive UC credit for EAP courses, if you plan your program carefully you will be able to complete programs without delaying graduation or adding financial burden.

PLAN AHEAD! Applications typically are due eight months prior to the program's start date and some programs have academic or language prerequisites that must be satisfied in advance.  Please check the EAP website for advice, resources, and application deadlines. You can also download and print the EAP flyer for Communication.

What Will it Cost?

Study on EAP can be comparable to the cost of study at UC. In some cases, it is less. EAP participants pay UC fees and continue to receive UC financial aid while abroad. Furthermore, EAP students are eligible for special grants and scholarships from UC, the host country, and other sources.

When Should I Study Abroad?

Communication students typically study abroad during their junior or senior years. Communication students should successfully complete the pre-major requirements and petition for admission to the full major before leaving on their EAP adventure, although they may apply in advance of completing these requirements. Students should carefully consult with the Communication Undergraduate Advisor to ensure successful completion of major requirements. Students wishing to do full year programs in their senior year need to take special care to meet both major requirements and the University residency requirements.

Transfer students are eligible to participate as early as their first term at UCSB, although this is usually difficult for Communication students. For more information, visit EAP Transfer Students, and consult with the Communication Undergraduate Advisor.

Where Should I Study Abroad?

Communication students wishing to complete a substantial portion of their upper-division communication major abroad have a wide variety of opportunities available to them. The upper-division Communication major is very flexible, without any specific required courses or sequences. You are allowed to complete up to half of your required 40 units in an EAP program. There are applicable courses in approximately sixty-two institutions and twenty countries. You can do your study in English, or improve your language skills by choosing a program where the language of instruction is perhaps Spanish, French, Italian, German, or Japanese. There is no better, or more valuable, method to gain an understanding of effective communication in a global society than through the study of communication in an institution, country, and culture foreign to your own.

What Classes Should I Take?

EAP students automatically earn UC credit for the work they complete abroad. However, application of credit to major requirements is subject to the discretion of the department.

Our department is happy to provide an online list of pre-approved courses for EAP programs. We realize this is not a comprehensive list of all EAP approved Communication courses and we are working on the evaluation of additional courses. If the school or courses you are interested in are not listed, please see the Undergraduate Advisor about an evaluation.

All EAP students automatically earn UC credit for the work they complete abroad. However, the application of credit to major requirements or GE requirements is subject to the discretion of the department and your college. Plan ahead and consult with your advisors before leaving and while abroad. Save all syllabi, papers, and other relevant course information for courses you may want to petition for G.E. or major requirements.

Communication students who wish to study abroad should first successfully complete the pre-major requirements and apply for admission to the full major. Additionally, 20 Upper division Communication units must be taken in residency at UCSB (either before or after a student's study abroad experience). We encourage participation and are actively reviewing EAP courses for upper-division Communication credit. Many have already been approved. Please meet with the Undergraduate Advisor in SSMS 4005 to review courses and programs that may be applicable to the Communication major.

How Do I Get Started?

Begin by identifying your goals for study abroad and then consult the EAP web pages to identify appropriate EAP programs. To find programs which offer particular disciplines or to search courses taken by EAP students over the last 5 years by subject, keyword, and/or location, explore the resources found under Program Search and Course Catalog. Navigate to host universities’ web sites on the available links to learn more about the schools and their departments.

Go to the UCSB EAP website for advice for majors about study abroad. Stop by the EAP office at 2431 South Hall. Peer advisors who have recently returned from studying abroad as well as staff advisors are eager to answer your questions.

If you plan to take requirements for your major, contact the department Undergraduate Advisor to discuss this possibility. You can also see our list of Pre-Approved EAP courses on our website to help you determine what might be a feasible program for you to complete. Make an appointment with a Letters & Science advisor to discuss general education, residence, and other requirements.

Where Can I Get Help Filling out My Academic Planning Form for EAP?

Please see the EAP Advising office with any help you may need filling out the form. Once you have completed the form, please email a copy to EAP APF’s can take up to a week to sign so be sure to submit at least one week before the deadline.

Quick Links