Links to section on this page, below:
Links to resources on other pages:
Career Day Describes Career Day, and summarizes past Career Days.
UCSB Comm Mentoring Program Comm Students/Mentees and Alumni Council Members/Mentors: Sign up for our new program, designed for longer-term mentee-mentor relationships, and with more features. For an overview, first go to our Digital Mentoring page.
UCSB Career Resources See the Get Hired tab on the UC Santa Barbara Career Services site. It covers: How to Succeed in Your Search: Job search strategies; Resumes; Cover letters; LinkedIn; Interviews and offers; and The first day.
We are excited to announce the UCSB Communication Alumni Council Virtual Career Series via Zoom, featuring UCSB Communication Alumni. Sessions continue the 2nd Wednesday of most months during the academic year.
We wanted to create an additional way for students to connect with alumni and learn about the many job opportunities available for comm majors. Our alumni work in a variety of industries -- from media and PR to legal, real estate, entertainment, hospitality, sports, and more. We have programmed these free Zoom sessions to be informal and interactive. The speaker will spend about 10-15 minutes sharing their career journey and discuss job opportunities in their industry. We will then open it up to a Q&A where you can ask your questions about career, networking, job opportunities, etc. Also, we welcome feedback on future sessions you'd like to see as part of this series so bring your questions and ideas to the session!
- October 14, 6pm PT: Careers in Media/Journalism with Justine Miller
- November 11, 6pm PT: Careers in Law with Karen Thorland, SVP and Deputy General Counsel MPAA, & Jake Edson, Associate at Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- December 9, 6pm PT: Careers in Marketing with Justin Hannah, Team Lead, Marketing Technology & Ad Operations
- January 13, 6pm PT: Careers in HR/Recruiting with Jamie Morgan, Head of Technical Recruiting, Cruise
- February 10, 6pm PT: Careers in Tech with John Bollen, Chief Information Officer, The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, and Alex Platt, Business Relationship Manager, Procore Technologies
- March 10, 6pm PT: Careers in Advertising, Digital Marketing, and Product with Alexei Pizarev, Director of Operations and Product Strategy, Publicis Media
- April 14, 6pm PT: Careers in Event Management with Cynthia Tucker, Assistant Director, Trojan Event Services, University of Southern California
- May 26, 6pm PT: Careers in PR with Debbie Fitzgerald, Co-owner/Principal, Fitzgerald Petersen Communications
- June 23, 6pm PT: How to Build a Brand with Noelle White, Senior Brand Manager, Heyday
- October 13, 6pm PT: Careers in Deception Detection (Research & Financial) with Norah Dunbar, Professor, Dept of Communication, and Chuck Taylor, Executive VP, Head of Financial Crimes Advisory (FCA) at AML RightSource
- November 10 6pm PT: Careers in Marketing & Tech with Claire Knowles, Marketing Communications Manager, Infineon Technologies
- January 12 6pm PT: Corporate Communications with Erin Bergamo-Tacy, Chief Communications Officer for Blend Labs
- February 9 6 pm PT: From Communication to Consulting - My Unexpected Career Journey with Matt Schermerhorn, Professional Services Consultant
- March 9 6pm PT: People + Culture Careers: HR, DEI, Learning, Coaching, and Beyond with Nick Duggan
- April 13 6 pm PT: Careers in the Videogame Industry with Cody Corona
- May 11 6 pm PT: Careers in Media and Marketing with Tom Bracken
Topics: These videos gather related topics from the full-length videos in the UCSB Comm Alumni Council Virtual Career Series. Thanks to Amber Li, Alumni Council Intern, for editing these from the full videos!
- Career Advice
- Gaining Experience and Pursuing a Job Unrelated to Your Degree
- How Did My Communication Degree Help My Career?
- Importance of Business School
- Looking for Internships Related to the Communication Major
- Nature of Different Communication Careers
Past Virtual Career Series Sessions
Jamie Morgan, Careers in Human Resources/Recruiting, January 13, 2021
Cody Corona, Careers in the Videogame Industry, April 13, 2022
These videos gather related topics from the full-length videos in the UCSB Comm Alumni Council Virtual Career Series. Thanks to Amber Li, Alumni Council Intern, for selecting the material and editing these from the full videos!
Click here to download .pdf of 8 .ppt slides
Click here to download .pdf of 15 .ppt slides